Thursday, September 18, 2008

On the verge of a nervous breakdown!

Today it was really weird from morning to moonlight I was feeling rather overwhelmed. I guess I kinda cheat myself into not thinking about it. Tonight while I was doing some research and building up my econometric hypothesis I was thinking way too broad. i wanted to incorporate a lot of the ideas I have been absorbing lately. This caused me to enter a paralysis state that did not allow me to progress at all. I guess it is funny, because that is the fundamental argument that Barry Schwartz makes in his book "the paradox of choice, why more is less." If you did not catch on the point, what Barry says is that as choices increase dissatisfaction is greater until making a decision is so hard that one becomes paralyzed. I think it happened to me tonight and I hope I can narrow down my ideas and deal with it ha haha. I guess I can further elaborate my theories some other time.

1 comment:

anachili said...

I've been in that boat before... I guess the most important thing is to remind yourself that you have only so much time for your research and for now you need to stay narrow, but in the future you can always expand on it. Also, I think that research is way more effective when you start out with a narrow question/hypothesis and then broaden your research step by step. It ends up being more in-depth and well-organized. Good luck!