Friday, August 15, 2008

The Conservative Nanny State

In 2006 Dean Baker published "The Conservative Nanny State." I am halfway through and the basic point he is trying to get across is that deregulation in lots of markets (in the US) has been used in the best interest of the wealthy sector of the population. I think the book is very interesting and that the information he shares in it is important for the public to know. I do disagree with some of the solutions he proposes though. For example he says that software like Windows and Office should be free on the internet. My apologies if I misunderstood this, but I think it is very unrealistic for this to happen. Maybe there should be a way of regulating the prices of such essential applications, but to make them completely free... I don't think so.
I have more examples of this but for now I am going to stop there.

No comments: