Sunday, February 17, 2008

Siddhartha

I could not help that the cartoonist of The Echo wrote an article condemning the inclusion of Siddhartha in the curriculum of REl-200.
As many of you (my followers ha haha) know, I am taking that class this semester. I have to say that I strongly disagree with what is being said there.
Dear cartoonist, if you paid a little attention in your class, I am sure your professor clearly stated that by using Siddhartha, they are not intending to introduce us to Buddhism because as you wisely pointed out, it is a novel. The intend of including that book for our study is to understand that "what we believe matters."
I agree with you that reading Hesse's novel is not a good way to get acquainted with Buddhism. Neither is a good idea to condemn the purpose of something just for the sake of creating cheap controversy within the school. With that being said, I wanna declare my comeback from a bad week (intellectually-wise). I promise I'll try to write stuff with a more challenging content than last week's. I got a couple ideas so stay... tuned??? No this is not radio, stay on-line.

No comments: