Monday, February 25, 2008

Panic and shootings

I found myself in a conflict when it comes down to the recent shootings. I feel like the media acts in a opportunistic and selfish way. They use victims as a source of rating and on top of that they make murders famous for the wrong reason. In my opinion this has a negative impact on society, since makes more tempting for potential killers to engage in similar or even worse violent activities. I went ahead and made some research on shootings at schools in the past ten years and even though the average number of shootings per year is about the same since 1996. However, in recent years shooters had left a legacy specially in video that to the eyes of sick people represents a triumph and it pushes them in pursuing frenzies.
Now I feel that the shooters are victims of a system that don't accept them and that does not offer them adequate treatment. These people are an anomaly of our greedy and selfish way of life, which everyone is pretty comfortable with until someone snaps out of it.I am not trying by any means to justify their actions. I am rather suggesting that the fact that this is happening more often within a peaceful society is an alert and an something to look at.
If these people have access to powerful guns what stops them from shifting into suicide bombers? I feel that something has to be done to preserve the harmony of the community specifically in the US How to do this? I don't have an answer to that. I only know that it is a really delicate topic and it creates fear within the community. The shootings that I am talking about here are just the ones happening at schools, but don't forget about the ones that happen in other public places.
In the end everyone has the power of touchings someone else life, so try to be somewhat nice to everyone, if being nice is not in you, try not be an asshole.

No comments: