Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Summer housing issue

I have been trying to work out my situation to be eligible for the summer housing. After talking to a couple people I have not found any empathy, so I decided to write a letter to the President of the College. Here it is and let me know if you are in the same situation maybe we can gather some signatures to make it more serious.

Dear President Pribbenow,

I am writing you to express my discontent about the eligibility for the summer credit contract that is offered to students that work on campus. I am aware that you are not in charge of deciding who gets it and who does not. I just thought that I could make my voice heard through you because I have talked to other people and they don’t show any empathy when I tell them about my situation. I feel it is really unfair the way the credit is offered. First of all the student worker hours have been cut, so it is really hard to find a position that would fulfill all the requirements to get the credit. As right now, I am working for three different departments on campus. As a result my work schedule is scattered throughout the day, which has affected my other summer activities. In addition one of my jobs shuts down for a few weeks during the summer, which will make impossible for me to get the required hours at the end of the summer. The second thing I find to be unfair, is that I will not receive the credit just because I am slightly below the quota stated in the contract. I am really frustrated because it is just three hours a week that will make the difference but there is no student work out there because the recent cuts. On top of that my immigrant status does not allow me to work off campus, which constrains the amount of income I can make and it obviously makes me dependent on the student worker hours offered. I know you are trying to help students who stay on campus for the summer, and I am glad that someone came with the idea of the credit. What I am not happy with is the fact that students like me are not getting that aid due to something that we cannot control. I would understand if the credit was denied to me because I am being lazy. The truth is that I get up to work at 7:45 AM and after a shift during the day I go to work from 5pm to 9pm. I am also aware that it will be unfair for students who do get the 40hrs a week to get the same reward as someone who puts in 30. My suggestion is that the credit can be granted by categories from most hours worked to least. I know there has to be a point where the hours may not be enough to be eligible for the credit. I think that thirty hours a week should be enough to receive some sort of credit towards summer housing. Furthermore, who really knows what else the students are doing that is keeping them from working those extra hours. Maybe some are doing volunteer work, an internship, taking classes, getting prepared for graduate school, etc. I hope there is something that can be done about this issue. I believe there are a good number of students that are in the same situation as I am.

-Thanks for your attention.




Luis Lopez Monterrubio




Disclaimer: I will turn this in on Friday, so hurry up! I am also opened to suggestions and corrections. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Hang Pham said...

I think it is very well-written with honesty and persuasion.

keep me updated on what he says!