Thursday, June 12, 2008

So what?

Today I got an e-mail in response to the letter I sent to the President earlier this week. Here it is so you can critique it:

"Good morning Luis,

Dr. Pribbenow gave me your letter that you had recently sent to him outlining your discontent about the summer housing credit. I am sorry to read of your difficulties in finding consistent employment on campus. We have not done cuts in work study, although you may be finding some departments reducing their summer hours to have more hours available during the academic year.

The purpose of the summer housing credit was to encourage students to work on campus by supporting their living on campus. We sometimes have trouble recruiting enough students to work on campus during the summer. this is, as you note, not an issue for international students because you can only work on campus.

Because of this rationale, we went with the 560 hour requirement and did not prorate it. We have made provision for those involved in McNair summer research, NASA/Physics summer research, and the URGO program summer research.

We will certainly take your suggestion of categories of summer housing credit as we review this for future summers.

I copied Dr. Pribbenow on my reply.

In addition, I'll sure pay attention to other work opportunities that may occur as summer continues and will contact you if I learn of anything.

Please let me know if you have questions."

I feel the response goes around my concerns. First of all I don't have a discontent with the housing credit but with the eligibility to get it. Second thing, they have not cut hours? I thought school is running a deficit... Anyway, the third thing I was pursuing in my letter was that fact that I want to see some action this summer not in 2010. Finally I am very upset at the fact that I directed the letter to the President and I got a response from Ann Garvey. The very reason I wrote the letter was because I already have talked to her and someone else about my situation. Which reply was about the same I got in the letter (no wonder why?). I am not trying to be the exception to the rules, rather I want to push for the benefit of anyone in a situation similar to mine... I am really frustrated with this. I kinda want to quit wasting my time trying to reason with the administrators.

No comments: