Thursday, January 31, 2008

Focus the Nation (continued)

I was lucky to attend three event where many different speakers related their feelings about global warming. What I got from all of them was something that did not addressed global warming directly. Furthermore, all of the proposals for change imply substantial increase in costs of production and consumption. While this is not a surprise, what really strikes me is that a lot of people wants to push for a change but what they don't want to do is to assume the cost of the change. I really wonder how many of us that want to push for a change are willing to pay X amount of dollars more for goods that are crucial for a daily living. I mean none of us drinks voss water every day, even though is one of the most natural waters in the market (or at least that's their claim). My point is that it is indisputable that we have the technology to produce goods that won't harm the environment (as much). The real question is, who is willing to pay for them? If companies realized that they could sell this type of goods they would go ahead an produce them, as long as they sell something they don't care what they sell. As it was addressed today at Focus the Nation gatherings, there is no easy solution. The key point in all this green controversy is that the momentum of comfortableness that people of our time is used to needs to be reshaped. The bottom line is that something needs to be done, and in my opinion the sooner we do it the sooner future generation would adjust to the increase in costs and the change in the procedures of daily life. To finish this blog I just want to pint out that if you are pushing for something, you have to do take action as Garry W Hesser said in his speech at focus the nation I don't want you to come up with a proposal for change and then forget about it tomorrow.

PS. I did not quoted Hesser's speech because I reworded it, but that was basically the idea.

No comments: