Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Not generalizing

I apologize if I offended anyone with the last post. I admit that I committed the mistake of generalizing. I took it against the neighborhood as a whole. Instead I should of reprimand against the thugs that stole my bike (you know who you are! Give it back punks!).Since I have touched upon this topic, let's dig more into it. It is main stream idea that generalizing in any kind of situation can cause problems, for example offending people. It also true that generalizing can result in under and overstatements. So why do people generalize? Well, I will have to say because it is the easier way to go about an issue. A lot of people for example think that all there is in Mexico is a desert and that we don't get cable channels down there... I know is dumb, but sadly true. I think that A LOT OF PEOPLE (not all people) are really ignorant about the world out of the US. It is so annoying sometimes to listen to them talking. The other day my roommate was arguing with my brother and his friends that the Vatican was 300 miles squared??? Ha haha what an idiot don't you think? Anyway, there is plenty evidence that there are many person like that out there. All we can do is to be patient and try our best to educate them for the better. Moral of the post, don't jump to conclusions based on general ideas. Now if you do, at least acknowledge that is Not All... Finally, I have to say that could be easily corrected at Augsburg since the diversity on campus is noticeable. Only thing you have to do is to talk to an international student and ask them about your doubts.

No comments: