Friday, May 16, 2008

Life keeps going

I have been experiencing some bad luck lately. I am kind of mentally tired of forecasting different scenarios of my near future. I have been complaining too much, and frankly I have lost that spark that made my personality outstanding. It also adds up that I have been studying the work of Jean Paul Sartre. When I relate to his ideas I feel that I am not a free man which happens to mess my current situation even more. I was analyzing the core of existentialism and I came up with the answer that JPS never quite solved. How to live life? My answer to that is that life is so circumstantial that the only way of living it is the way you think it should be lived at that point. Making reference to Hesse’s book Siddhartha, the main character lived his life based on the circumstances he was exposed to. By the same token there is this quote by Soren Kierkegaard that says something like this: Whether you do it or not, you will end up regretting it. I think that if people knew this before taking decisions, then is arguable that a decision can be made in the best interest at that given point with no room to regret because at the time the decision was made it bore the highest utility, satisfaction, or simply it made sense at that time. Again my point is that whatever decisions you make at any point of your life cannot possibly affect the core of your life drastically, unless the decision results in death or irreversible damages. So the above mentioned could be applied to relationships, shopping, eating, and even choosing a College. So for the young people considering Augsburg College as an option, if you do come here, I can guarantee that at some point you would experience grief against the College. Let’s be careful though, I can also assure that if you don’t end up coming here, you will regret that when you regret to be at some other institution. To conclude what is worse, the pain of making decision knowing that there will bear some negative results, or the pain of regretting your choices without exploring different outcomes?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
-Soren Kierkegaard

No comments: