Sunday, April 27, 2008

Pretensions, crisis, double standards

First of all I want to applaud the efforts of the people behind the Collegiate Press to keep the students informed on administrative issues of the College.I feel that without them students, or at least the ones that read their work, would be totally miss-lead. I think it takes a great effort not to realize that the school's leadership has been spending money in a conspicuously way since it changed hands from the President's house remodeling to the current trips to abroad locations. Coming from a third world country I am familiar with they type of governance that this college has authoritative in many regards, and lack of responsibility. To my eye it seems that they did learn a lot in Nicaragua... maybe this college functionaries are not corrupt, but I feel they do operate with double standard. If someone do something wrong, they chase them down and make them pay the price of their actions. But if they are the ones who mess up there is always some sort of excuse that puts them in a safe box. If not they blame it on some one else, the thing is that they never assume responsibility. I feel that blaming the unmet retention rates as the main cause of the crisis is so lame. It really reminds me of the Enron scandal. I can see a Jeff Skilling inside our leadership people trying as hard as he can to pretend to be innocent and then explaining that the poor performance of the college is someone else fault. Lets be realistic, who else in this institution knows better that money has been going out the window, and that not a lot has made it in. With pain in my heart I have to point out that ultimately why would a rational student stick around a college that offers this kind of atmosphere? My response to that is because faculty, staff, and other students make up for the crappy leadership. Funny enough just like in a third world country, Augsburg College is best represented by its people not by the Board of Directors and their subordinates.
Oh by the way good luck on your tests ya'll!

1 comment:

Cabbage Wabbage said...

Now that's a daring blog! To make this post a lil' more effective, I really think you should send it in to Echo or even to the Dean's office.
Then maybe, just maybe(doubtful)...we can see changes.