Monday, December 1, 2008

Income Inequality

It is very interesting to analyze this topic and this semester I have been able to actually look at it from different angles and points of view. Different angels because I am studying the impact of the increasing income inequality on health outcomes, and also writing a paper with a conservative view on income inequality. The most revealing of all this studies has been the connection with some of the ideas of intellectuals that I have been following. Most importantly Noam Chomsky, Stephen Bezruchka, Carlos Carlos Monsiváis, and Jean Paul Sartre. In addition I got recently referred to the ideas of Ken Wilber by one of my economics professors(That I mention, because I think I agree with Wilber's idea of integration, but I have to add that it is also about centralization). In any case, my posture in regards to the issue of income inequality do indeed agree with the radical position. However, I will like to be modest in arguing that my view, granted of amateur, actually transcends the what I call the mainstream radical position.
For Example the radical view to combat income inequality puts a lot of weight in enforcing a more equal and just income tax system. Despite the fact that radical thought thus suggest that a more unionized majority will have a greater impact on the policy toward more equal income distribution, they pay little attention to how to attain that unionization. Or rather fail to explain in more detail why is that the unionization has weakened since the last severe popular struggle. This is were I diverge from them, because I think that the most important single factor causing the present socioeconomic struggle in the US has to do with the passive manipulation of the media on the minds of the general public. I do have to make clear that it is more than likely that several other individuals might have ideas closely related to mine or perhaps about the same as mine...

No comments: